Although I love my keto lifestyle there are a few things that I miss. Bread is certainly one of them. So I set out on a quest to make a healthy low carb bread and discovered this Flaxseed Focaccia Bread. It works great as a grilled cheese sandwich and is also great with just some butter.
You begin by mixing the dry ingredients of roughly ground flaxseed, baking powder, Italian herb mix, and sea salt.
Then in a blender mix the 5 eggs, water, and olive oil. Blend until foamy.
Next, you will mix the wet and dry mixture until well incorporated. Do this gently and it may take a few minutes as the flaxseed likes to clump.
Bake in the oven for 20 mins and let cool for one hour. The cooling process if very important to avoid crumbling.
And there you have it, a delicious low carb bread you can enjoy guilt free.
It goes wonderfully with butter and some tea.
- 2 cups roughly ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian herb mix
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 large eggs
- ½ cup water
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1Preheat oven to 350F and line a 13×9 baking pan with parchment paper draped over the sides. Set aside.
- 2Combine flax seed with baking powder, herb mix and sea salt in a large bowl. Whisk to combine fully and set aside.
- 3Add eggs, water and oil to the jug of your high-powered blender. Blend on high for 30 seconds, until foamy.
- 4Transfer liquid mixture to the bowl with the flaxseed mixture.
- 5Stir with a spatula, just until incorporated. The mixture will be very fluffy. Once incorporated, allow to sit for 3 minutes.
- 6Drop mixture into prepared baking pan. Smooth with the back of the spatula and transfer the pan to the preheated oven.
- 7Bake bread for 20 minutes, until the top, is golden. Remove from the oven and lift bread (from the parchment paper sides) to a cooling rack. Peel the parchment paper from the bottom of the bread and allow the bread to cool on the cooling rack for an hour.
- 8Cut into 12 pieces.
- 9Bread can be toasted or frozen. Keeps in the fridge for 3-4 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Total Fat8.8 g14%
- Sat. Fat1.6 g8%
- Cholesterol68 mg23%
- Sodium227 mg9%
- Carbs6.5 g2%
- Fiber5.5 g22%
- Protein5.9 g12%